Not surprising, but the police officers involved in the shooting of Jacob Blake, will not face any criminal charges, authorities said Tuesday.
The officers involved in the Jacob Blake shooting will walk away with no charges. Kenosha District Attorney Michael Gravely announced the charging decision on Tuesday (Jan. 5).
On Aug. 23, Blake was shot in the back multiple times in the presence of his three children who were sitting in the backseat of a vehicle he was attempting to enter. According to footage of the incident, Officer Rusten Sheskey— who was responding to calls of a domestic incident — fired at Blake seven times. He survived the shooting, but is now paralyzed from the waist down.
Following the announcement, Blake’s attorney Ben Crump took to Twitter to express his disappointment in Gravely’s decision.
“Kenosha DA Michael Gravely will NOT charge the officers involved in the August shooting of Jacob Blake. We are immensely disappointed and feel this decision failed not only Jacob and his family but the community that protested and demanded justice,” he wrote.
“This isn’t the news we hoped for, but our work is not done and hope is not lost. We must broaden the fight for justice on behalf of Jacob Blake and the countless other Black victims of racial injustice and police brutality. #JusticeForJacobBlake.”
He continued, “We will continue to press forward with our own investigation and fight for systemic change in policing and transparency at all levels. We urge Americans to continue to raise their voices and demand change in peaceful and positive ways during this emotional time.”
As REVOLT previously reported, Governor Tony Evers activated 500 National Guard troops to Kenosha on Monday (Jan. 4) in anticipation Gravely’s charging decision.
“Our members of the National Guard will be on hand to support local first responders, ensure Kenoshans are able to assemble safely and to protect critical infrastructure as necessary,” Evers said at the time.
Mayor John Antaramian and Police Chief Daniel Miskinis have also called for lawful and peaceful protesting.
We will continue to press forward with our own investigation and fight for systemic change in policing and transparency at all levels. We urge Americans to continue to raise their voices and demand change in peaceful and positive ways during this emotional time.
— Ben Crump (@AttorneyCrump) January 5, 2021
Stay safe Kenosha. Nothing is going to change until there is accountability.