Say What Now? Texas Teen Electrocuted While Holding Her Cellphone in the Bathtub

A 14-year-old Texas girl was killed while holding her cellphone in a bathtub.

Madison Coe was electrocuted when she either plugged her phone in or grabbed it while it was already charging.

via NYDN:

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” grandmother Donna O’Guinn told KCDB. “And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”

Madison was visiting her father in Lovington, N.M., when she died Sunday.

She recently graduated from Terra Vista Middle School in Lubbock, Texas, where she played basketball and the tuba.

“It is with heavy hearts that Frenship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe,” her school district said in a statement to KCDB. “We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together.”

Madison planned to attend high school in Houston, where her family was planning to relocate, the news channel reported.

O’Guinn said her family wants to use Madison’s untimely death as a cautionary tale.

“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else,” she told KCDB. “And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.”

We’re guilty of using our iPhones and iPads in the bathroom from time-to-time — please let this be a cautionary tale.

Share This Post