A tanning salon customer was in for a shocking surprise after discovering a dead woman on the bed she went in to use.
The client made the morbid discovery in one of the tanning cubicles at the salon in Deutsch Kaltenbrunn, Austria, on Sunday.
A 50-year-old woman went in for a session at 2:30 p.m. and was found dead at 4:45 p.m. by another customer who had grown suspicious when the bed said it was in use but was silent.
After attempting to communicate with the person inside the bed, the concerned customer pried open the door with a coin.
Emergency responders were sent to the scene but were also unable to revive the woman.
An autopsy was performed and showed no evidence of foul play, with the woman’s body showing no signs of injury. The results of a toxicology report are still pending.
An investigation into the tanning salon showed that there were no defects to the tanning bed, and a spokesperson for the salon expressed “deepest condolences” to the woman’s relatives.
Though it may not happen often, people have died in tanning beds before. In 2018 a 27-year-old man was found dead on the floor of a tanning room inside a New Jersey gym.
And while tanning beds are not normally fatal, they can lead to negative and sometimes fatal health complications.
Just one indoor tanning session can increase the risk of developing skin cancer by up to 67% in some cases. And a 2017 study estimated that the treatment of skin cancer as a result of using tanning beds costs Americans $343 million a year. In addition, a study has suggested that more than 22% of white women who use indoor tanning show signs of addiction.