A Pennsylvania mom has gone viral after issuing a warning about a child’s toy that got her all tangled up in a BIG mess.
Lisa Hoelzle said she spent 20 hours trying untangle her daughter hair after the 6-year-old had an unfortunate mishap playing with a toy called Bunchems.
In a Jan. 10 post to Facebook, Hoelzle said her twins, Abigail and Noah, were playing when her son informed her that there was “something stuck” on Abigail’s head. Hoelzle soon discovered that the “something” stuck to her daughter’s hair was actually 150 Bunchems, small colourful balls that stick to one another to form shapes and structures, matted into her hair.
“I think I had an out of body experience,” Hoelzle wrote. “Apparently, Noah had poured a container of Bunchems on Abigail’s head being a jokester.”
Hoelzle said it took her approximately three hours to remove 15 Bunchems and she was determined to try anything to avoid having to cut them out of her daughter’s hair.
“If we cut them out because of how deep they were she would have winded up with a short pixie cut,” she wrote. “It crushed my heart and I just couldn’t in my heart give up without trying my best to get them out. I am that mom that has a bow to match each outfit!”
The Hoelzles aren’t the only family to have Bunchems get tangled in their child’s hair. In 2015, the parents of a five-year-old girl from Maine filed a complaint Consumer Product Safety Commission against Spin Master, the manufacturer of Bunchems.
In August of the same year, Spin Master published a video to YouTube with instructions on how to remove Bunchems from hair using mineral oil or conditioner — it has since been viewed more than 1.7 million times. The company has a safety warning on the toy’s packaging to keep them away from hair, and even suggests tying hair back when playing with Bunchems.
Hoelzle was able to eventually remove the Bunchem’s from Abigail’s hair using mineral oil and a detangling brush. Although she was able to avoid cutting them, Hoelzle says her daughter’s hair is damaged and “thinner” than it was before the incident.
Hoelzle’s facebook post has been shared more than 224,000 times on Facebook, with many parents heeding her warning to toss the toy.
“So spread the word, trash your Bunchems if you have them or if you love them where a shower caps when playing with a sibling ! Lol,” she wrote. “This will be something we will never forget; a very traumatic experience in the Hoelzle house hold this weekend.”
That mom has the patience of a saint. Let us ask you — what would YOUR mom have done if this was your hair?