Los Angeles County confirmed four more deaths linked to the coronavirus, including the first of a person under the age of 18.
Breaking: A child under the age of 18 has died of coronavirus in Los Angeles, public health officials announce, in what is believed to be the first child death from the virus in the US.
“A devastating reminder that COVID-19 infects people of all ages,” LA health official says.
— Jon Passantino (@passantino) March 24, 2020
via LA Times:
The number of deaths in the county from the virus is now 11. Tuesday’s update also included a previously reported death in Long Beach. The young person who died was from Lancaster. No further details were immediately available.
“This is a devastating reminder that COVID-19 affects people of all ages,” L.A. County Public Health Department director Barbara Ferrer said.
Two of the individuals who died were between the ages of 50 and 70. One of those individuals had underlying health issues and resided in the West Adams neighborhood.
Officials also confirmed an additional 128 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the county’s total to 662. Of those positive cases, 42% occurred in individuals between the ages of 18 and 40 and 39% occurred in individuals between the ages of 41 and 65.
At least 119 individuals, or 18% of all positive cases, have been hospitalized for the virus.
Gov. Gavin Newsom says he believes California will need 50,000 hospital beds for patients suffering from the illness caused by the coronavirus. That marks a significant increase from the 20,000 beds his administration forecast last week. The Democratic governor said the state’s 416 hospitals were doubling their “surge plans,” a move that will result in 30,000 new beds across the system.
Stay home. Stay safe.