Well, this is certainly something we never expected to see — and aren’t sure if we want to.
In the name of Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old Black EMT who was fatally shot by police in Louisville, Kentucky, while sleeping in her bed just five months ago, organizers have put together a ‘BreonnaCon’ — and called a bunch of reality TV stars to participate.
That’s right — they turned Breonna Taylor’s death into a conference.
The three-day event starts today, Aug. 22, and will culminate Aug. 25 with a massive demonstration.
According to a press release, this “first-of-its-kind community convention” will include workshops, training, women’s and men’s empowerment programs, a school supplies giveaway, community BBQ, and a Faith Revival at Kingdom Fellowship Center.
“BreonnaCon will engage, activate, and transform the Louisville community by building a comprehensive slate of programming that will amplify the urgent need for Justice for Breonna,” said Until Freedom Co-Founder Tamika Mallory. “BreonnaCon will address a number of issues impacting the community including food insecurity.”
Slated to participate are former Real Housewives of Atlanta star Phaedra Parks; Love & Hip Hop New York star and entrepreneur, Yandy Smith-Harris, and Real Housewives of Potomac cast member Gizelle Bryant.
View this post on Instagram
It’s going down this weekend!! @untilfreedom, @yandysmith @traeabn, @mysonnenygeneral @angelopintoesq @lsarsour @tamikadmallory and so many others will be celebrating the life of @Breonna but you know Us! We gonna cause some good trouble too. Join us in Kentucky by the bus loads. Drive down. Catch a flight, caravan, Uber, Lyft. I don’t care how you get there…just get there if you can! I’m on the way!!
Did we mention they’re having a Bre-B-Q?
We…don’t even really know what to say. If you’re interested, you can heck out some of the other scheduled events below.
Saturday, August 22
- 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. – Free Farmers Market
- Louisville Urban League, 1535 West Broadway
- 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – TaylorMade Women’s Empowerment Event
- Vibes, 1346 River Road
- This event will provide hundreds of local women with a specially curated program led by Yandy Smith-Harris, founder of Yelle Beauty and star of “Love and Hip-Hop, and Porsha Williams of “Real Housewives of Atlanta.”
- 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Brothers for Breonna/Free the Guys
- Kula Art Gallery, 536 S 4th Street
- This event is a men’s empowerment forum to transform and inspire men in Louisville. Program will include local activists, artists, and influencers. Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, as well as Until Freedom’s Co-Founder Angelo Pinto among others are scheduled to appear.
Sunday, August 23
- 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. – Bre-B-Q Community Barbecue
- Shawnee Park
- A community family barbecue and concert honoring all lives lost to police violence. The event features games, a school supply giveaway, and more.
Monday, August 24
- 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – From Pain to Power: Organizing Boot Camp
- Simmons College, 1018 South 7th Street
- A series that will teach and train local residents on community organizing, public policy, and civil engagement.
- 7:00 p.m. – Praise in the Park at the Waterfront
- Waterfront Park
- Faith leaders from across the state and the nation are scheduled to attend this event, featuring local choirs and performers.
Tuesday, August 25
- 2:00 p.m. – “Good Trouble Tuesdays” Day of Action
- South Central Park marching to LMPD training academy
- The conclusion of BreonnaCon, ending in a non-violent march amplifying the call for justice.