On Tuesday, Justice League’s Ray Fisher (Cyborg) took to his Twitter account to call out what he deemed “racially discriminatory conversations” that were “had or entertained” by Warner Bros. execs. on the set of the blockbuster film during reshoots in 2017.
via: The Blast
Ray Fisher is calling out several studio executives who he claims are ‘racist’
Earlier today, the actor wrote a scathing note on Instagram blasting Warner Bros and studio executives over the treatment he experienced shooting “Justice League.”
At the moment, Ray is still battling Warner Bros publicly after his own experience with director Joss Whedon.
Ray claims the director was “abusive” and awful on the set of 2017’s “Justice League.” An investigation was launched into the allegations but it never went anywhere.
Earlier this month, Ray spoke out after rumors swirled that Warner Bros was prepping a new Superman movie that would include Michael B. Jordan as one of the leads. Ray wrote, “Do ya’ll remember that time Walter Hamada and @wbpictures tried to destroy a Black man’s credibility, and publicly delegitimize a very serious investigation, with lies in the press? But hey, Black Superman… A>E.”
— Ray Fisher (@ray8fisher) March 2, 2021
The actor also claims the investigation launched by Warner Bros was interfered by Walter.
In his new statement, Ray provides more detail of his issues with the studio and the people behind it.He wrote, “Prior to the Justice League reshoots of 2017, racially discriminatory conversations were had and entertained – on multiple occasions – by Warner Bros. Pictures executives: Toby Emmerich, Geoff Johns, and Jon Berg.
He continued, “When it comes to matters involving race, I always try to give the benefit of the doubt to those who may be ignorant of their own biases. But when you have studio executives saying, “we can’t have an angry Black man at the center of the movie” – and then those executives use their power to reduce and remove ALL black people from that movie – they are no longer entitled to any benefit associated with doubt.”
Ray believes, “Toby, Geoff, and Jon were not ignorant of their biases. They understood full well that the racist rhetoric they chose to entertain in those meetings was offensive, discriminatory, and unacceptable.”
“Furthermore, they dared not speak those things to me, nor any other Black person associated with the film. Instead, they chose the cowardly route of gaslighting – complete with extremely problematic requests such as asking me to “play Cyborg like Quasimodo” and forcing a scene to be reshot so they could highlight the existence of Cyborg’s penis.”
“Unfortunately, those were just some of the issues.”
Ray is adamant, “We now know the leadership at Warner Bros. Pictures lied to the cast and crew of Justice League (and to the world) about Zack Snyder picking Joss Whedon to finish the film.”
The actor isn’t done fighting against the man. He said, “The truth will continue to reveal itself. And as it does, there will likely be attempts to shift blame completely onto Kevin Tsujihara and Joss Whedon. But make no mistake, Geoff Johns worked intimately with Joss to overhaul the entire Justice League script.”
He says while John wasn’t credited as a writer on the film he was “an enforcer of the race-based discrimination that occurred during his conversations with Toby and Jon.”
Ray ended, “Zack Snyder’s Justice League stands as proof of, and opposition to, that discrimination. I am indebted to the participants of the Justice League investigation. They put themselves at great risk to share the truth. I owe it to them; I owe it to my peers in this industry and I owe it to all Black people to stay the course.”
Warner Bros has denied Ray’s allegations the investigation wasn’t on the up-and-up. As The Blast previously reported, other actors have come out in support of Ray and against alleged treatment by Joss.
WarnerMedia issued another statement that said, “Once again there are false statements being made about our executives and our company surrounding the recent Justice League investigation. As we have stated before, an extensive and thorough third-party investigation was conducted. Our executives, including Walter Hamada, fully cooperated, no evidence was found of any interference whatsoever, and Warner Bros. did not lie in the press. It’s time to stop saying otherwise and move forward productively.”