It was reported earlier this week that Mathew Knowles is working on a musical about Destiny’s Child — and he says he reached out to each of the girls for their participation.
via Page Six:
“We have directly and indirectly spoken to — not only Beyoncé, Kelly [Rowland] and Michelle [Williams] or their representatives — but also some of the former members of the group,” Knowles, 67, told Page Six. “We’ve given them the opportunity to be as much involved as they’d like, or [have] as little involvement as they’d like.”
On Tuesday, the music executive shared on his website that he and director Je’Caryous Johnson have partnered together to develop “Survivor: The Destiny’s Child Musical.”
Knowles told us the production is still in its early stages, and the script is not finished yet, but he doesn’t expect to receive a lot of pushback from the members of the group once the script is complete.
“Everybody understands this is my perspective, not their perspective,” he said. “The girls were very young when they got into this business, so a lot of this perspective, they didn’t really understand.” Knowles managed the group since its inception in 1990 when Destiny’s Child was first known as Girl’s Tyme.
Knowles said he is working on getting the script to a place where if the original members “want to review it, they can review it,” adding, “I wouldn’t want to put anything out that didn’t have everyone’s support.”
While “Survivor: The Destiny’s Child Musical” will cover the group’s ever-changing lineup over the years and “the reason for some of the changes,” Knowles said the focus is more so on his experience managing a successful group while raising another daughter, Solange Knowles, being married to then-wife Tina Knowles, and their family dynamics.
Translation: None of the girls have anything to do with the musical…but they know about it.