Chicago police have released both Olabinjo Osundairo and his brother, Abimbola, without charges in the alleged attack on Jussie Smollett.
Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi released a statement saying,
“Due to new evidence as a result of today’s interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete.”
Because of the new evidence provided by the brothers, they are no longer being classified as suspects. The investigation remains ongoing.
Friday morning Guglielmi said the two men have a relationship with Smollett. Friday morning police said the two had been classified as suspects and that at the time police believed they may have been involved in a crime.
Multiple sources told ABC7 Eyewitness News in Chicago that police are investigating whether Smollett and the two men staged the attack allegedly because Smollett was being written off of “Empire.”
A source familiar with the investigation told the ABC7 I-Team that Smollett failed to appear for an interview with detectives earlier Thursday but has since spoken with police.
Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson contacted ABC7 to say they are continuing to treat Smollett as a victim and the investigation remains ongoing.
“Police are investigating whether the two individuals committed the attack – or whether the attack happened at all,” Chicago police told ABC News.
Smollett released a statement Thursday evening saying, “Today Jussie did answer routine followup questions for Chicago Police Department and continues to cooperate.”
Smollett’s representatives said he is not being written off “Empire.”
Twentieth Century Fox Television and Fox Entertainment released a statement saying, “The idea that Jussie Smollett has been, or would be, written off of EMPIRE is patently ridiculous. He remains a core player on this very successful series and we continue to stand behind him.”
Check back as we’ll keep you updated on the latest developments.
Case Update: Due to new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete. pic.twitter.com/Hswn1Qjgcy
— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 16, 2019