Susie Torres thought she had water in her left ear — but doctors soon discovered her ear problems were a lot more dangerous.
A medical assistant saw no water, but she did see a spider chillin’ in the woman’s ear canal.
“She came back in and told me it was a spider,” Torres said. “They had a few tools and worked their magic and got it out.”
Doctors later told her it was a highly venomous brown recluse spider.
Luckily, after a checkup, doctors told her the spider did not bite her.
“I never thought they would crawl in your ear or any part of your body,” Torres said.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a bite from a brown recluse can cause itching, muscle pain, increased sweating, headaches, nausea and/or a fever. The CDC suggests treatment by a medical professional for any brown recluse bite.
Torres does not know where the spider came from, but said she will now take a few precautions, including before she goes to bed.
“I went and put some cotton balls in my ear last night, because I did not have any ear plugs,” said Torres. “I’m pretty terrified of spiders.”
She’s lucky. Brown recluse bites are NO joke.