A woman in Spain suffered a life-threatening allergic reaction to penicillin after coming in contact with the drug while performing oral sex on her partner.
The unidentified woman swallowed her lover’s semen and, afterwards, began to vomit, struggle to breathe and began breaking out in hives. The patient, from Alicante in Spain, went to the hospital with suspected anaphylactic shock.
It is unclear how long after the sexual encounter the woman sought help for her allergic reaction.
Doctors in Spain ruled out a rare semen allergy when the woman admitted to doctors that she never suffered any symptoms in her previous sexual encounters. Medical officials then discovered that her 32-year-old partner had taken moxicillin-clavulanic acid, a form of penicillin, to treat an ear infection.
As a result, doctors suspected her anaphylaxis was caused by “seminal transfer of amoxicillin.”
The case, published in the British Medical Journal Case Reports, is believed to be the first of its kind — ever — to be recorded.
Doctors who treated the 31-year-old woman have now urged individuals who may have a drug allergy to “be aware” of the potential risk from oral sex and to ensure they use condoms when performing sexual acts with their partner.
The man, who also has not been identified, took the medication four hours before having any sexual contact with the woman.
As if the public needed ONE more thing to worry about while engaging in sex practices…