ICYMI: 'Bad Boys' Spinoff Starring Gabrielle Union Gets a Pilot Order By NBC


The long-delayed third and fourth installments of 'Bad Boys' have yet to see the light of day, but the franchise isn't dying just yet.

The 'Bad Boys' television spinoff starring Gabrielle Union has been picked up as a pilot order by NBC.

via THR:

The potential series revolves around free-spirited former DEA agent Syd Burnett (Union, reprising her role from Bad Boys 2), who has a fresh start in her new job as an LAPD detective. She is partnered with Nancy McKenna, a working mom who can't help but look at Syd's freedom with some grass-is-greener envy. These two have totally different lifestyles and approaches, but they both are at the top of their fields in this action-packed, character-driven procedural.

The Blacklist writers Brandon Sonnier and Brandon Margolis penned the script and will executive produce alongside Jerry Bruckheimer and his company's Jonathan Littman and KristieAnne Reed, former NBC Universal Television chairman Jeff Gaspin, Jeff Morrone, Doug Belgrad and Union.

Sony's Columbia Pictures originally produced the Will Smith-Martin Lawrence franchise, which included features in 1995 and 2003. The first film grossed more than $141 million on a budget of $19 million, while the sequel netted more than $270 million. Plans for a third movie, Bad Boys for Life, were scrapped last year.

Reboots continue to remain in high demand as broadcast, cable and streaming outlets look for proven intellectual property in a bid to cut through a cluttered landscape expected to top more than 500 scripted originals in 2019. Key to them is having the original producers involved, which the untitled Bad Boys spinoff has with Sony, Bruckheimer and the studio's former film exec Belgrad.

Belgrad launched his Sony-based 2.0 Entertainment banner in September 2016, with an eye toward co-financing film and TV projects based on preexisting projects at the studio.


We're actually here for this. It's a good way to keep the franchise alive without making everyone sit through a movie sequel that might not turn out that great.

Rich the Kid's Wife Files for Divorce, Says He Cheated with Blac Chyna & Others

Rapper Rich the Kid -- real name Dimitri Roger -- is headed for divorce.

His wife, Antonette Willis, filed the petition on Wednesday amid accusations he cheated on her with Blac Chyna and India Love.

+ Keep reading - Show less

So Sad: Queen Latifah's Mother Rita Owens Has Passed Away After Battling with a Heart Condition

Queen Latifah's mother, Rita Owens, Latifah's mother, Rita Owens, passed away on Wednesday after struggling with a heart condition for more than a decade.

+ Keep reading - Show less

Traci, Trina, and Towanda Say They're Going to Keep Talking About Tamar and Vince on 'Braxton Family Values': 'She Had a LOT to Say About Our Relationships' [Video]

Trina, Towanda, and Traci Braxton don't care that Tamar Braxton is upset over estranged husband Vince Herbert's portrayal on 'Braxton Family Values' because they believe that her drama isn't off-limits.

+ Keep reading - Show less

Vanessa Trump Reportedly Discovered 'Sexy' Texts from Aubrey O'Day While Donald Jr. Was in the Shower

Vanessa Trump -- or someone close to her -- is spilling all the tea about how she discovered Donald Trump Jr.'s affair with Aubrey O'Day.

According to new reports, Vanessa discovered "sexy" text messages between the pair.

+ Keep reading - Show less

Amber Rose's Son Sebastian Gets Surprise Concert Tickets From Taylor Swift: 'This Is Gonna Be So Exciting!' [Video]

Taylor Swift sent Amber Rose's son Sebastian concert tickets and the 5-year-old was super excited.

+ Keep reading - Show less

Tina Turner Says She Has Forgiven Ike for Years of Abuse: 'I Wonder If I'm Still Holding Something In'

Tina Turner has forgiven former husband Ike Turner for years of physical and emotional abuse.

+ Keep reading - Show less

Austin Serial Bomber Identified as 23-Year-Old Mark Anthony Conditt

The bomber responsible for two deaths in Austin, Texas, over the last three weeks has been identified as 23-year-old Mark Anthony Conditt.

He's believed to be the sole mastermind behind a series of package bombs that killed two people and wounded at least four more since March 2.

According to police, Mark set off a bomb and killed himself as he was being approached by police.

+ Keep reading - Show less