Cristiano Ronaldo allegedly attacked Kathryn Mayorga in 2009 and Las Vegas police have reopened the investigation.
via USA Today:
Mayorga filed a lawsuit last week alleging Ronaldo attacked her at the Palms Hotel and Casino on June 13, 2009. Mayorga states in the suit she reported the alleged incident to Las Vegas police later that day but ultimately decided not to name the suspect or pursue charges.
Last month Mayorga asked police to reopen the case, according to Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Aden Ocampo. Ocampo said neither Mayorga nor her representatives named Ronaldo as the suspect, although the department has launched an investigation that he said was “open” as of Monday.
In addition to reporting the alleged assault on June 13, 2009, Mayorga underwent a sexual abuse examination at a local hospital, according to the lawsuit.
Ocampo said the department still has the rape kit from the examination, which was not processed at the time because Mayorga did not want to seek charges. DNA can still be extracted from the kit, Ocampo said.
Leslie Mark Stovall, the lawyer representing Mayorga, said the allegations “‘are not ‘fake news’” in a statement to USA TODAY Sports and other outlets in response to Ronaldo calling the claims such in an Instagram post over the weekend.
Asked for comment, a spokesperson for Ronaldo sent the same statement to USA TODAY Sports that was sent to German magazine Der Spiegel, which first reported the allegations before the lawsuit was filed. In the statement, the spokesperson called the reporting “blatantly illegal.”
“I have been asked to comment on the recent statement by Cristiano Ronaldo that Ms. Mayorga’s claims are ‘fake news,’” Stovall said in the statement. “Ms. Mayorga’s filed complaint, the physical evidence of her sexual assault, answers to written questions regarding the sexual assault attributed to Cristiano Ronaldo, the communications and conduct of the ‘team’ representing Cristiano Ronaldo, the circumstances surrounding the purported agreement for settlement and non disclosure, and the psychological injuries suffered by Ms. Mayorga are not ‘fake news.’”
Mayorga, now 34, agreed to a $375,000 settlement that “asserted that the settlement and non-disclosure agreement was intended to and did prevent plaintiff, her family, friends and lawyer from speaking to anyone, including the police about the sexual assault,” according to the lawsuit.
Mayorga detailed the alleged incident in a lawsuit filed in Clark County District Court on Friday, which she said took place in at a penthouse suite inside the Palms Hotel and Casino. She alleged in the lawsuit that Ronaldo entered the bathroom and pulled her into the bedroom where the assault took place.
“Cristiano Ronaldo turned plaintiff onto her side and while screaming ‘no, no, no’” the civil suit alleges.
Mayorga said in the lawsuit she was sodomized by Ronaldo, which resulted in “severe emotional and bodily injuries including but not limited to anal contusions, post-traumatic stress disorder, and major depression.”
Stovall said in Monday’s news release that his client is seeking a criminal investigation and filed the lawsuit to “obtain justice by holding Cristiano Ronaldo accountable for his conduct” and to “prevent what happened to her from happening to other women.”
This definitely isn’t a good look for Cristiano.